Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Cleaning: Eclecticism's Top Albums of 2013


Happy first day of spring! I had my top albums of 2013 list mostly finished, but kept "perfecting" it. Then it seemed like it was too late to post. Since spring cleaning is in full swing, I'm going to post it anyway. So let's take a trip back to 2013 and remember some fantastic tunes.




Top Albums of 2013 

1) Hot Natured - Different Sides of the Sun

This was a hard decision. I almost named a tie for top place, but in the end "Isis" won me over. I'm a sucker for pop, and Hot Natured's album is loaded.




2) Disclosure - Settle

Well ... they started a fire, and it spread.




3) Ian Pooley - What I Do

If you're looking for a solid album of chill crusin' tunes, this is your album. Somehow it managed to fly under the radar, but the entire album is solid.




4) Shine 2009 - Our Nation

These two guys always make you feel good and relaxed. If I were to make a list of my all-time favorite albums, Shine 2009's debut would easily make the top 10. Our Nation was a solid follow up. Keep it coming Shine 2009!




5) Octo Octa - Between Two Selves

Between Two Selves was one of those albums I didn't play enough. It was a poignant, erotic release from the Brooklyn producer, but the LP should have come with a download!




6) Kraak & Smaak - Chrome Waves

Kraak & Smaak always know how to get you dancing. This album was another solid, funky release from these guys.





7) Mitzi - Truly Alive

This Mitzi album was another release that was sort of overlooked by a lot of people. It was so catchy, and filled a portion of my eternal dance punk void left by the break up of LCD Soundsystem. I'm excited to see how they follow up such a wonderful debut.




8) Kavinsky - Outrun

After Drive came out, who wasn't drooling over the electro goodness that is Kavinsky?





9) Classixx - Hanging Gardens

Classixx's album was an essential album for the summer of 2013. It was filled with track after track of warm, feel-good nu-disco.

Classixx - Holding On by Innovative Leisure


10) Toro Y Moi - Anything In Return

At his third studio album, Chaz Bundick is on a roll for creating cool, glossed out tunes. I'm a huge fan of the dancier Toro Y Moi, a la the Freaking Out EP, and this album touched on more of that. 

Say That by ToroyMoi

So Many Details by ToroyMoi


Honorable Mentions:
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Jensen Sportag - Stealth of Days
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
Anoraak - Chronotropic
Little Boots - Nocturnes
Bonobo - Black Sands
Gold Panda - Half Is Where You Live



EPs/Singles 
(because I couldn't technically put them in a list of "Top ALBUMS")

1) DFA2408 - The Juan Maclean "Feel Like Movin'" feat. Nancy Whang b/w Shit Robot "We Got A Love" feat. Reggie Watts

The heat coming off this 12" is probably bad for the rest of my collection.






2) Isaac Tichauer - Take Over You EP

I will never stop telling you to follow and download Isaac Tichauer. The man is a genius, and his tunes are so sexy. Look for a new release in 2014!




3) Wayward - Love Jones 12"

I don't know how long you can go sampling Motown tracks, but Wayward is off to a great start! For this release, the duo pulls vocals from Marvin Gaye and Eddie Kendricks. If they're all going to sound this delicious and dreamy--more please!

Wayward - Love Jones by Waywarduk

Wayward - Marvin by Waywarduk


4) Goldroom - Embrace EP

Goldroom is a go to for summery, beach vibes. This EP was gorgeous!




5) Gold Panda - Trust EP

Gold Panda is one of my favorites, so I was sad that his LP didn't make it into my top 10. In my opinion, this EP was better than the album. Make sure to check it out if it flew under your radar!